We have a number of activities planned to commemorate the loss of Old Boys who lost their lives in the first world war. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also read more about the impact of the Great War on Leeds Grammar School and Leeds Girls’ High School in John Davies’ book ‘A High Ideal’. Please click on the link to download the order form: Order form for A High Ideal.
He was the second son of Rev Charles W Andrews and Mrs Ellen Andrews of Oxford Place Chapel, Leeds.
Head of School in 1912
Went to Cambridge on an Open Classical Scholarship at Pembroke College in 1913
His brother Robert Freeman Andrews was killed in November 1916.
The oldest son of Rev Charles W Andrews and Mrs Ellen Andrews and the older brother of Charles Neville Andrews
The son of Mr J Appleyard
The younger son of the late Mr G Barker and Mrs Amy Barker
The son of Mr A Barrett. On leaving school he worked in the Yorkshire Penny Bank.
The son of Mr Edward and Mrs Jessie Mary Becker. He had previously served in Uganda (1914), Gallipoli (1915) and Salonica (1916).
The younger son of Mr Walford John and Alice Benton. On leaving school he worked in Kitson’s Engineering Works.
The older son of Mr Walford John and Alice Benton. On leaving school he obtained a City Art Scholarship to the Leeds School of Art and subsequently a scholarship at South Kensington College of Art.
The son of Arthur Edwin and Elizabeth Brayshay. On leaving school he became an engineer.
The elder son of Mr S Briggs. On leaving school he entered the cloth trade with Messrs. Houston and Co of Surbiton.
The only son of Mr J A Brotherton.
The only son of Mr J Brough. On leaving school he worked for a year in a solicitor’s office, then for four years in the Yorkshire Penny Bank, then for six years in Messrs Beckett and Co Bank. In 1912 he went to Nigeria in the employment of Messrs Holt, Shipping Merchants.
The only son of Mr Alfred Brown. He was in the textile department of Leeds University and was then for a number of years an instructor in cloth manufacturing in Ireland. He became private secretary to the British Consul in Zanzibar and the secretary to the British Resident there.
The son of Mr Henry and Mrs Sarah Myrtle Brown and the husband of Netta Campbell McCormack (formerly Brown). He left the school to go to Giggleswick School.
He was awarded the Military Cross.
Lost when HMHS Anglia (hospital ship) was sunk by a mine laid by the German U-boat UC-5
The son of Adelaide Maud Ashwin (formerly Buckler) and the late John Henry Buckler. The husband of Muriel Irene Buckler.
He was Mentioned in Despatches (twice) and awarded the Military Cross.
He was an accountant in Leeds. The husband of Phyllis Pfretzchener (formerly Burrell) of Oakville, Ontario.
The son of Rev. H A Butler. In 1908 the family emigrated to British Columbia.
The fourth and youngest son of Mr Rhodes Kennedy Calvert and Rose Calvert. He became an engineer with Messrs John Fowler and Co.
The son of Rhodes Kennedy Calvert and Rose Calvert. He was reported missing after the first poison gas attack at Ypres on 22nd April 1915.
The eldest son of Rhodes Kennedy Calvert and Rose Calvert. He gained a law degree at London University and became a partner in his father’s firm.
The elder son of Mr D A Campbell.
The son of Edwin and Emily Carter. He left school when the family moved to Surrey. He was in the timber trade. He is commemorated by a stained glass window in Kimbolton Church.
The son of Mr W Chadwick. He was with the firm of Chadwick Brothers, Perseverance Mills, Leeds.
The son of Mr Thomas Chapman, a solicitor of Albion Street and Mrs Laura Chapman. He was articled to his father and became his partner. He died of cerebro-spinal meningitis in St Omer.
He left the school to work in the firm of William Cheatter and Sons who were leather manufacturers in Kirkstall Road. He had served in the South African War with the Leeds Rifles. He died at Edmonton Military Cemetery, Middlesex. He was married in 1907 to Ada Wedderspoon.
The eldest son of Arthur and Margaret Alice Cheetham.
The third son of Charles Robert Chorley and Mary Hannah Chorley. He was also educated in Paris. He was a solicitor, articled to Messrs Barr, Nelson and Co of Leeds and in 1900 became a partner.
He was mentioned in despatches twice.
He was the son of Arthur Edward Clarke and the husband of Marjorie Chambers Clarke of Inverkeithing Fifeshire. He was killed in a motorcycle accident. He was granted war grave status in 2014 – see United Kingdom Book of Remembrance – “In From the Cold” project.
The son of Rev James Walter and Jane Elizabeth Cockerill. He was an engineer in the Leeds Municipal Offices and in 1913 went out on survey work for the Canadian Pacific Railway. He was killed by a bomb dropped from a German plane.
The son of Frederick Nathaniel Cook and Ellie Pearson Lovell Cook.
He was a farmer in Vancouver.
He was a Second Division clerk at the Scottish Education Department, Whitehall.
The eldest son of Rev E J Crofts. He won a Hastings Exhibition to Queen’s College Cambridge. He was taken prisoner during the German advance of 1918.
The elder son of Mr F W Denny. He died of dysentery.
The son of George Henry and Kate Dovenor. He left the school to become a motor engineer.
He was the third son of Rev W H Draper of Adel.
The youngest son of Mr J Eastwood. He had hoped to work in medicine when he left school.
The son of Mrs Elliot and the late Rev W Hayward Elliot. He left the school for the St Edmund’s Clergy Orphan School, Canterbury. He had gained a scholarship for Queen’s College, Oxford.
The son of the late Thomas and Jane Facer.
One of the “War Composers”. He was the son of Rev and Mrs C D Farrar and the husband of Olive Wilhemina Farrar. ARCO 1903 and in 1905 he won an Open Scholarship at the Royal College of Music. Gained the Sir Arthur Sullivan Prize in 1906. He was a church organist on South Shield and later at Christ Church, Harrogate. He was a well known composer, organist and music teacher, notably of Gerald Finzi.
The son of Edward Lillie and Adelaide Frazer. He is named on the Worthing War Memorial and the South African Roll of Honour.
The son of William and Jessie Gibson. He joined his father as a wool merchant.
The only son of Mr and Mrs George Gozney of Hyde Terrace and husband of Mrs N G Gozney. He attended Leeds Medical School gaining the degrees of MB, ChB in 1914. He was killed by a sniper while bringing the wounded down the Euphrates on a barge.
He was mentioned in despatches twice and was awarded the Military Cross and Bar.
The son of Rev Edgar E Hart. He left the school for Ripon Grammar School.
The fourth son of Dr G H Heald. He went to the Leeds School of Art and was a black and white artist.
The son of Dr Hess of South Kensington. He left the school to attend Rugby School. He was a director of Adolf Hess and Brothers Ltd, oil manufacturers. He was severely wounded on 1st July 1916 and died of his wounds in Queen Alexandra’s Hospital for Officers in London.
The son of Joseph and Kate Hield.
He was awarded the Military Medal.
He left the school to return to Blundells School, Tiverton. He was captain of Headingley RFC and represented Yorkshire and the North of England. At the outbreak of war he was engaged in rubber planting in Malaya.
He left the school to go to Leeds University.
The eldest surviving son of the late Rev John P Hobson and Annie Hobson. At the start of the war he was in Canada on the staff of the Canadian Pacific Railway.
The only son of Charles Robert and Isabel Mary Horner.
The elder twin son of Thomas and Florence Mary Hurtley. He enlisted along with his twin Jack Trousdale Hurtley. He died of wounds and gas shell poisoning.
The third son of Alfred Edward and Beatrice Caroline Ives.
The son of Alfred Edward and Beatrice Caroline Ives and brother of Derrick Ives. He died of pneumonia at York. Before enlisting he was a solicitor with the firm of Mr Arthur Willey.
The son of George William and Eleanor Jackson. Before the war he was on the staff of the Leeds Branch of the Commercial Union Assurance Company.
The son of Richard and Jessie Johnson and husband of Agnes Julia Burn-Murdoch (formerly Johnson) of Enderley, Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent.
The son of Stanley Robert and Hetty Kay. He was an engineer at Doncaster. He was seriously wounded and returned to England in 1917 and was accidentally killed while cleaning a revolver while at St Leonards.
The son of Rev Arthur Hastings Kelk and Bessie Grace Kelk. He left the school with a Milner Scholarship at Magdalene College, Cambridge.
The younger son of the late Mr G Kerr and Mrs Margaret C Kerr (his mother went to live at High Mead, Ballinamallard, Co Fermanagh). Before enlisting he worked in the Yorkshire Penny Bank.
The only son of the late Alderman Fred and Mrs Janie Kinder. Before enlisting he worked in his father’s business.
Born in Sheffield, only son of Frank Herbert and Edith Kirk of 31 Beech Hall Road, Sheffield. He won an Exhibition in Modern Languages to St John’s College, Oxford. He had married a Miss Scott of Sheffield in the spring of 1917.
The son of Charles and Beatrice Laughton.
The only son of Mr W Levitt. He worked in the National Provincial Bank, Durham.
The second son of Mr E J Lister and husband of Margaret H Hurlston (formerly Lister) of “Sunnybank”, Mirfield, Yorkshire. He was a partner in the firm of Messrs J Lister and Son Ltd.
The fourth son of George Denison Lumb and Elizabeth Margaret Lumb. The brother of Wilfred Denison Lumb. He was a student at the Agricultural Department of Leeds University. He and his brother were commemorated on the pulpit of the chapel of Leeds Grammar School.
The second son of George Denison Lumb and Elizabeth Margaret Lumb. He worked at the London City and Midland Bank. He and his brother (Thomas Denison Lumb) were commemorated on the pulpit of the chapel of Leeds Grammar School.
The elder son of James and Sarah Lyon.
Born in Lanarca, Cyprus the son of Rev H T Mackay. On leaving school he joined the Merchant Service and then went to Canada to join the Frontiersmen. He was married in June 1916. He was accidentally killed during a machine gun demonstration.
The son of Mr J C Maisey, a chartered accountant.
The son of Dr Malcolm of Otley and the grandson of Mr J C Malcolm, the Leeds City coroner. He was killed when his plane collided with another above an Essex airfield.
He was the first casualty from the school although he was initially reported missing and the date of his death only confirmed in June 1917. He was the third son of Thomas and Julia Mallinson. After leaving school he attended Leeds University.
The son of Mr W H Mann he left the school when the family moved to llkley.
The only son of William F L and Frida Maud.
The son of David Watt McEwan and Isabella McEwan. Before enlisting he worked in the Law Union and Rock Insurance Office. He was killed by the accidental explosion of a bomb while practising behind the lines.
The only son of Mr W A and Mary McLaren. He was in Canada when war broke out and returned to enlist.
The son of Mr G K Middlebrough a brewer of South Milford. He is also commemorated on the Bridlington War Memorial.
The son of Alderman E C Midgley of Leeds and the husband of Lucy May Midgley of Accrington. He left the school to go to Bootham School, York.
The only son of Mr Lewis Nichols and Mrs Mary Ann Nichols. On leaving school he entered the Intermediate Division of the Civil Service.
He was the son of Mr A B Northcote (Captain, Royal Army Medical Corps) and Mrs Northcote of York. On leaving school he went to the Leeds University Medical School.
The son of Mr H E O’Dwyer. He is also named on Methley War Memorial.
The son of Mrs Oldridge of Mossley Hill. He was killed while taking off from Hitchin Aerodrome.
The son of Mr and Mrs J Oliver. On leaving school he went to work in the City and Midland Bank.
The son of Albert and Martha Oliver. On the outbreak of war he was working in the West Yorkshire Bank.
The son of Charles Henry and Mary Alice Outram. He went to Leeds Grammar School on a scholarship and on leaving went to Leeds University as a Law student. He was articled to Messrs. Scatcherd, Hopkinson and Middleton, Solicitors of Leeds.
The son of Mr J Parker. He left the school to go to Giggleswick School.
The fourth son of Rev Alfred Henry and Mary Jane Peto. He was House Surgeon at the Leeds Infirmary.
He was mentioned in despatches and was awarded the Military Cross.
He was the son of Dr John Jagger Pickles and Lucy Pickles. After leaving school he attended Leeds University. He married Dorothy (formerly Wilkinson) of Boston Spa. He was invalided out of the service due to ill health in October 1915 and took over his brother’s medical practice. He died suddenly at his father’s house.
The brother of Clifford Crawshaw Pickles, he had four other brothers who also served and survived the war. He was the son of Dr John Jagger Pickles and Lucy Pickles. After leaving school he attended the Leeds School of Medicine. He was a surgeon at the Leeds Infirmary and then in medical practice in Earby near Skipton. He died in the Malta Naval Hospital.
The son of Rev James Kirk Pike and Edith Pike.
He was the son of Rev G.M. Platt, Vicar of Whitkirk and Emma S Platt. After leaving school he was articled to a solicitor but in 1890 took a posting to Chile. He was in Singapore on the outbreak of war.
He was the son of Joseph and Sarah Anna Burton Potts and the husband of Winifred Mussabiri (formerly Potts) of 20 Merton Avenue, Chiswick, London.
He was the only son of Benjamin and Sarah Pounder. He took his B.A. at Leeds University in 1911 and was articled to Sir Robert Fox, Town Clerk of Leeds.
He was the younger son of Rev Horace Annesley Powys and Jessie Powys. His father had taught at Leeds Grammar School from 1875-83.
He was the younger son of Mr J H Rayner. After he left school he became a student in the textile department of Leeds University.
He was the second son of Mr F G Rhodes. He left the school when the family moved to Chislehurst.
He was the son of Mr C. Richardson. He read for a Civil Service appointment and then became a solicitor in practice in Bradford. He was invalided home after eight months service in Gallipoli and then served on the Somme.
He was the second son of Rev W H Rigby, a Wesleyan minister. He was born in Ceylon when his father was a missionary. He was Head of School in his last two years. In 1911 he gained an Open Classical Scholarship at Trinity College, Oxford and obtained a first-class in Moderation in 1914.
He was mentioned in despatches and awarded the Military Cross.
While at school he was an active and keen member of the Chapel Choir. On leaving school he was articled to the law firm of Messrs Peckover and Scriven. He was invalided out of the army having had an attack of pleurisy and then contracting consumption. He died at a sanatorium at Nordach-upon-Mendip at Charterhouse in the Mendips.
He was the older son of Robert John Robinson and Mary L Robinson. His father was a wool buyer. He had previously attended the Leeds Modern School. When he left school he became a clerk for the Great Northern Railway Company. He had originally enlisted into the 17th West Yorkshire Regiment, unofficially known as the Leeds Bantams as he was five feet three and a half inches tall.
He was mentioned in despatches.
He was the son of George Henry and Eliza Robinson. On leaving school he went to sea for three months and then worked in the Halifax Commercial Bank.
He was the son of the late Leonard Arthur and Arabella Annie Rooke. He was killed in action on the Chemin des Dames Ridge in the battalion’s first action.
He was the son of John Abdiel and Eleanor Seaton. He was Head of School in 1902 and left on an Open Scholarship at Pembroke College, Cambridge. In 1907 he became an extension lecturer at Pembroke College. In 1910 he was an Education Inspector in Lancashire. That same year he was re-elected to a Fellowship at Pembroke College teaching history.
He was the son of Mr Silvanus and Ann Elizabeth Shann and the brother of John Webster Shann. He had been Sergeant Major of the School Officer Training Corps between August 1914 and December 1915. He was killed while trying to rescue another officer.
He was the elder son of Silvanus and Ann Elizabeth Shann and brother of Alan Webster Shann. In 1912 he gained an Open Science Exhibition at Christ Church College, Oxford.
The son of John Henry and Julia Hannah Simpson. He came to the school from Wheelwright Grammar School, Dewsbury and left to go to Leeds University. He practised in Dewsbury as a solicitor.
He was the son of Alfred Rhodes Skirrow and Harriet Skirrow.
The youngest son of Mr Albert Smith. For some years he was with Messrs. William Lupton and Co., Woollen Manufacturers and then emigrated to Canada where he was a rail road Mail Clerk.
He was the son of Mr William and Mrs Elizabeth Mary Smith. He left school to work on his father’s farm.
He was the son of Mary Louisa Rhodes (formerly Snowdon) and the late Rev Richard Kemplay Snowdon. He passed into Sandhurst in 1902 but was later articled to the firm of Messrs Snowdon, Meredith and Hubbersty, Solicitors.
He was the eldest son of Dr Joseph Stewart. He became an engineer and went to work as Chief Experimenter at Messrs Wolseley’s Works in Leeds. He invented a new four speed gear for motor cycles. He was a director of Noel Paton Ltd, Engineers.
He was the youngest son of Mr W Stockdale. Shortly after leaving school he emigrated to Canada where he became a very successful farmer.
He was the younger son of Mr Thomas Stockdale. After leaving school he entered Leeds University as a Law Student and was a keen member of the Officer Training Corps. He passed his final law examinations in 1914 and was articled to Messrs Nelson, Eddisons and Lupton. He was wounded in 1915 and for a time was an instructor at the school for officers at Lyddon Hall.
He was awarded the Military Cross and Bar.
He was the son of David and Ellen Tempest. He emigrated to Canada in 1908.
He was the only son of Samuel and Marjorie Tiplady.
He was the younger son of Mr R H Townsley and the brother of Herbert Alan Townsley. He left the school in 1908 to go to Worksop School. He was articled to an engineering firm but emigrated to Canada in 1914. He had served in Gallipoli and was present at the Suvla Bay landings.
He was the older son of Mr R H Townsley and the brother of Bryan Hill Townsley. On leaving school he went to work for the Corporation Gas Works.
He was the eldest son of Mr Arthur and Clara Turner. After he left school he became a chartered accountant with Messrs H W and J Blackburn of East Parade, Leeds.
He was the youngest son of Mr Frederick William and Sarah Vause. After leaving school he entered the Textile Department of Leeds University.
He was appointed Senior Science Master at the School in 1912. He was the eldest son of Mr George and Margaret Walling of Ferncliff, Ingleton. He was educated at Giggleswick School and Magdalen College, Oxford.
He was mentioned in despatches twice and was awarded the Military Cross and Croix de Guerre (France).
He was the son of Mr Charles Todd Whincup and Sarah Whincup. He studied at St Bartholomew’s Hospital and took the diplomas of MRCS and LRCP (London) in 1897 and FRCS (Edinburgh) in 1902. He held appointments at Plymouth and Stroud hospitals and was then appointed anaesthetist to the Shropshire and Mid Wales Eye, Ear and Throat Hospitals at Shrewsbury. He went into practice in the town and was the physician to the Salop Infirmary and medical officer to the Post Office and Board of Education. He accidently drowned while bathing at Le Havre.
He was the seventh son of the late Mr Thomas and Annie Whitaker. His mother later moved to “Summerfield”, Holbeck Road, Scarborough. He was in the cricket teams of 1912-13; football teams of 1910-12; lacrosse teams of 1911-13 (Captain in 1913); Gymnasium Captain in 1912; Captain of Harrison House 1912; Colour Sergeant in the OTC in 1912 and he obtained Certificate “A” in 1913. In work he preferred the sciences and he passed the Northern University Matriculation in 1911 and the Oxford and Cambridge Higher Certificate Examination in 1912 and 1913. On leaving he was awarded a Certificate of Merit for all-round efficiency by the Headmaster and Governors. He left for Leeds University to take a medical course and passed his 1st M.B. in 1914. He continued his activities in all areas at the University. He was a member of the University Football Team and also played for Headingley. He was an eminent boxer and won, for Leeds University, the middleweight Championship of the Northern Universities. He died from gas poisoning.
He was the elder son of the late John Henry and Sarah Alice Wilkinson. He is also commemorated on the Horsforth Memorial.
He was the second son of Joshua Hudson Wilkinson and Mary Jane Wilkinson. He entered the school on a scholarship. Despite his deafness he enlisted as a chemical expert. He was killed on board HMS Vindictive during the action at Ostend.
He was among those in the ballot to be awarded a Victoria Cross.
He was the son of William and Elizabeth Wilkinson and the husband of Violet Glaister Wilkinson.
He was the younger son of Mr John Russell Willans and Emily Beatrice Willans. On leaving school he had intended to enter Keble College, Oxford with a view to taking Holy Orders.
He was the only son of Walter Esson Wilson. He died of gastritis.
He was the son of Mr A H Wood. When he left the school he went to work in the London City and Midland Bank.
He was the son of Mr J Worsnop. He had left the school in July 1907 for Leeds University to study Modern Languages. He gained a Senior City Scholarship in July 1907, and took a Modern Language course at Leeds University, where he graduated in 1910 with Second Class Honours. After taking his degree he taught for a year in a German School and was instrumental in establishing English games throughout the School. In 1911 he was appointed assistant master at Bowden College, Cheshire, and left in 1914 for a similar position at Hull Grammar School.
Tuesday 17 October 2017
Wednesday 4 October 2017
Monday 2 October 2017
Thursday 28 September 2017
Friday 22 September 2017
Friday 15 September 2017
Wednesday 13 September 2017
Monday 11 September 2017
Friday 1 September 2017
Thursday 24 August 2017
Thursday 17 August 2017
Or, if you prefer to chat with someone please call our admissions team on 0113 229 1552
Copyright 2016 The Grammar School at Leeds. All Rights Reserved. Company No 3075826 | Charity No 1048304About this site | Sitemap
Website by wearefactory